Monday, February 14, 2011

Public Education System

~It can be a good thing~

My daughter attends a public school, and her first year was wonderful.  She had an experienced teacher, challenging curriculum, and a good disposition.  We had a wonderful summer filled with science experiments and water balloon fights.

So when the time came for her to start First Grade, she was so excited!  She met her teacher, a wonderful woman who came out of retirement to fill the first grade position.  But this is where the good part of the story ends.

Mrs. Kind (real name withheld) had health issues, so she was not able to continue teaching.  Over the next 6 weeks a parade of 9 teachers (at my last count) came and left in sub positions so that the children would receive instruction.  Most of the subs didn't grade papers, sent nothing home, and one was banned from subbing in the school again for screaming (literally) at the students.  So many parents complained that the principal took action.


Full Time Teacher


By the time a full time teacher became available, many of the students were acting out, not doing work, and not asking permission to leave the room for drinks and restroom breaks.  I really felt for the teacher, Mrs. Brick (real name withheld).

She walked into an undisciplined class, had no teaching experience, and could show nothing to the parents during conference time because the subs didn't take up work.

This is where the problems began.
My daughter had already been bullied, pushed around, and at yelled at.  She didn't know what to make of this new teacher, but she kept an open mind.    She gave the teacher a chance.
Mrs. Brick abused that chance.

When is Enough, Enough?

  • Is it when my daughter comes home and says Mrs. Brick withheld snack from her because of bad behavior, and makes her watch everyone else eat?
  • Is it when the the teacher denies restroom breaks and she starts having "accidents" that she hides because she's ashamed?
  • Is it when I find out her desk was placed behind of the teacher so she had to turn around in her seat and look at the teacher's backside to pay attention during instructions?
  • Or is it when I find out that an IEP (Individual Education Plan) meeting has been made and I have no behavior reports telling what is wrong?
Please, listen to your children~ you know your child better than anyone else.  If you think something is wrong, it probably is.  Don't let your child suffer.  I've ran into a wall with what to do next.  If they will release her behavior reports to me (I still haven't received any word back on that) I could send a letter to the school board, but the only documentation I have is one letter.

What Happens Now?

I have scheduled conferences with Mrs. Brick, only to be told she's unavailable.
I have written letters, talked to the guidence counseler, and am trying to meet with the principal.

I am receiving no satisfaction.

We are lucky enough, especially with tax time, to be able to send her to a private school.  We've already been through the testing phase, and she is very excited.

My daughter told me that the best thing about the new school will be she won't get screamed at for a wrong answer.

Am I happy that she's excited about private school, or sad that she had such a horrid experience in public school?
A little of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment